Change is inevitable, but growth is a choice. This may just help me make up my mind.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

What's So Amazing About Grace?

I find there is a moment in every day that lends itself to gratitude, beauty, peace - whatever it is that each of us search for. Sometimes the moments can seem few and far between but they are always there if we stand quiet enough to connect with them. Lately I have been busy... very very busy. The rat race never seems to end or even subside but yet I feel blessed to realize that I experience those special moments in my day that, forgive the cliche, 'make the world seem right'.

For example, last week I started an 'anger management' program for 12 boys between the ages of 14 and 17 in Surrey - a big task to undertake for any individual let alone a 5" nothin, 23 yr old chick who has her own 'anger management' issues. However, the Creator works in mysterious ways and after much frustation with the bureacracy of Surrey School District, late nights of trying to meet with each youth on a one-to-one basis, and seriously questioning my ability to take on such a task- I had my first session and was once again reminded of how truly beautiful the human spirit can be if cultivated in love, respect and compassion.

The beginning of the night started off with a scenario that somewhat resembled a group of silverback gorillas pounding their chests- each desperately trying to out do eachother with with 'street stories' and tales of hot-wired escalades, drug-induced gang wars, drive-by's and even some tales of annoying mothers. At first I was worried that I had brought a group of boys together merely to swap violence stories and give tips to each other on how to out-run the cops; however, the machoism finally subsided and as we began to lead the group in a series of exercises, some fun and silly, others more serious - a miraculous thing began to happen: they started talking! Each kid started sharing his life experiences with violence and anger, speaking only in terms of how badly they wished things could go differently. This continued to the extent that when four large pizzas were brought into the room, they refused to leave the circle and continued to share for another 1/2 hr. This was amazing not only because these were pissed off teenage boys, but because the group was made up of individuals who, in any other circumstance, would never associate with each other, let alone swap life stories over pizza.

We explored our roots of anger and talked about our reactions to things that hurt us, we talked about the struggles that we have with our families and friends and we talked about things we want to do differently when anger floods our minds. I suppose I underestimated the ability for such a scenario to take place, particularly given the life history's and nature of many of the youth involved - but I never should have. A pissed off 16 year old boy is no different in his need to be loved, cared for, affirmed and encouraged - although at times he may wish to be immune to those needs. Monday night showed me that.

I sat in my car that night listening to 'Jars of Clay' and silently thanked God for the 12 blessings he had bestowed in my life that evening. I don't pretend to think that as an individual I can change these kids' lives; however, there is this really cool thing called grace that has the power over anything else in this world to mend hearts and heal wounds when shared with others. Perhaps that is why it is so amazing!

Full of Gratitude

Autumn

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing sweetie. You continue to bring me to a state of awe. I feel that i have been blessed just by knowing you.
Love Dustin

Friday, March 3, 2006 at 2:26:00 PM PST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carley - I know you've been under a lot of stress lately and am so impressed that you can still find the energy and strength to reach out to these guys. Never underestimate the power of our loving God and yes, He is full of grace. Take care. Rest if you can. Love, Pam

Friday, March 3, 2006 at 9:35:00 PM PST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carley
What a wonderful story of amazing grace!! It brought tears to my eyes to read a bout your interaction with those young guys. Most people would probably just worite them off but it inspires me to come to understand your love and compassion for people that most would find hard to love. You really walk the talk. I'm so proud of you. God bless you in your work and career. Love Dad

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 6:49:00 AM PST

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Carley
What a wonderful story of amazing grace!! It brought tears to my eyes to read a bout your interaction with those young guys. Most people would probably just worite them off but it inspires me to come to understand your love and compassion for people that most would find hard to love. You really walk the talk. I'm so proud of you. God bless you in your work and career. Love Dad

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 6:50:00 AM PST

 
Blogger The Kozak's Daughter said...

Hey, your interests made me think you'd be interested in my blog: Death Row Musings.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 6:02:00 PM PST

 
Blogger The Kozak's Daughter said...

You are so full of faith! God bless you.
Thank you for commenting and supporting the Death Row Musings blog. What kinda prison work do you do? I've been working with death row prisoners for about 8 years now, and just recently I started doing minsitry with female inmates at the jail.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 6:00:00 PM PST

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home