Change is inevitable, but growth is a choice. This may just help me make up my mind.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

My Sordid Nature I Cannot Deny

I have realized that they are two kinds of social fighters in this world: those who fight against something and those who fight for something. In this realization I have come to the sad conclusion that I am a fighter who needs to fight against something in order to fight for something. In this state of being there is an ingrained propensity for violence. To fight against something is to wage a war and war avows there is a winner and a loser, someone who lives and someone who dies; there is no compromise in war, no dialogue, no peaceful resolution: there is only death, destruction and oppression. I do not wish to be associated with this ethos any longer. I publicly recant my war against the system, against the evil empire of the capitalist state; of the razor wire that has caged my fellow man in his shame for far too long; of our schools that seek to judge and punish rather than empower; of our church's that have turned to the propoganda of the Bush Administration to increase their numbers; and the complacency of my neighbours who know everything they want for Christmas this year, yet know nothing of the worn souls of their loved ones.

While these things will always set a fire in my heart and can easily turn my body into a boiling pot of anger, I do not see the beauty in that sordid nature. Rather, I stand and uphold my fight for an alternative mode of being, a different presence to hold in this world and the determination to work towards social justice with the seven virtues always close at hand.

awwww f*#@ it! Who am I trying to kid? I was born into this world to fight, why deny myself the one thing in life I'm good at?

Coffee at Starbucks anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home